Sunday, September 10, 2006

One tester loved this, one was undecided (well, undecipherable)




Holiday Vegetable Dip
Taste of Home Celebrations Cookbook Copyright 2005

1 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon grated onion
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 teaspoons chili sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
¼ teaspoon dried thyme
2 teaspoons minced chives I only had dried but they were past their prime so I omitted this
Assorted raw vegetables or potato chips

In a bowl, combine the first six ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Sprinkle with chives. Serve with vegetables or chips.

Yield: 1 cup
____________________________

First of all, thank you for all the lovely blogiversary comments. I started this blog with the attitude that I was doing this for my own pleasure and if people read it, great, if not, oh well. But let's be real, I probably wouldn't have kept blogging without an audience. It's great fun (and great motivation) to know that people are reading.

Today's recipe was meant to be a replacement for the Dill Dip that my son has been eating quite a bit of lately. However, I wasn't able to determine whether he liked this new dip or not. He's only a bit over 2 1/2 years old and not always easy to understand. It sounded like he was saying that he didn't like this dip yet he kept eating it, with a pickle face (he likes pickles). This does have a tang from the cider vinegar. To be safe, I mixed up another batch of the dill dip for my son's lunch and I've been eating this Holiday Vegetable Dip, mostly with fat-free Pringles. I tried it with carrots too. I didn't have the chance to try it with any other vegetables.

I really liked this. Although, I made it with real full-fat mayonnaise so what's not to love? My son is thin as a rail and a light eater which is why I went full-fat, thinking he would eat this. If I had made it for myself, I find I get good results using almost all reduced-fat Hellman's and only a tablespoon or two or real Hellman's.

This cookbook is my favorite out of the three Taste of Home cookbooks I recently bought. It has recipes for all sorts of holidays and celebrations yet most of the recipes can be made just about any time.

I'm adding a couple of new features. First of all, I'm adding 'A Blast From The Past' to each post where I'll just remind you (and myself) of a recipe from sometime in the past - last year, last month, last week (well, probably not last week). I get so caught up with making something new all of the time, that I find myself forgetting about some of the great recipes I've already tried.

And (this is really exciting!), I'm going to start a monthly cookbook giveaway. Details will be posted soon (hopefully later today).

A Blast From The Past: I was blown away by these Lemon-Ricotta Muffins back in October of 2005. I've never made them again! I have no idea why, since I have thought about them quite often. I think maybe part of me is afraid they won't live up to my memory of them. But I'm going to try them again soon.

Question of the Day: How often do you eat dip? Just at parties? Never?

5 comments:

DancesInGarden said...

I find that most dips are too rich for me. Or too "fake ranchy". I like ranch, but not when it is sweet in any way (so not made with a miracle whip type product).

Sometimes I will eat veggie sticks with a homemade concoction of mashed cottage cheese, mayo, and sour cream (all light) mixed with chicken bouillon powder, herbs, onion and garlic powders.

Heather said...

If you can count salsa as a dip I eat it often, but mostly in recipes and not as a dip. I am not a big dip eater because I do not like mayo. I am also not a big sour cream fan. Yes, some people wonder how I live!
So other dips only really get eaten at parties.

Randi said...

I have some ricotta, I should probably make those muffins. You said you made them in 1995 though, I'm sure you met 2005.

Anonymous said...

I love dips, especially with chips. Since I shouldn't be indulging,I usually only have dip when my daughter and granddaughters are here as a treat for them (Yeah, right!) Then I happily join them.

Jan

Annie said...

I have been wanting to make these muffins forever and never seem to get around to it. I have a similar recipe from Giada DeLaurentiis. Now I know I have to make them.