Thursday, October 11, 2007

Nothing fancy
--Cool Corn Salad



Cool Corn Salad
Best Recipes From the Backs of Boxes, Bottles, Cans and Jars Copyright 1979, 1981, 1982

¼ cup commercial sour cream
¾ cup mayonnaise
1 Tbs. prepared mustard
2 tsp. sugar
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 17-oz. can Stokely’s Finest Whole Kernel Golden Corn, drained I used two of the store brand cans that are around 15 oz. each
1 2-oz. jar Stokely’s Finest Sliced Pimientos, drained and diced
2 carrots, peeled and grated
½ diced onion

In medium-size bowl, make dressing by combining sour cream, mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper. Add remaining ingredients and toss to blend. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Makes 4 to 6 servings.
________________________

I really liked this. It was like a pasta salad but corn has more flavor than pasta. It's always a plus if I can make something practically out of the pantry. I feel very pressured when there's fresh produce breathing down my neck. This is a salad that can wait patiently for you to make it and it's faster to put together than pasta salad. You could toss whatever you'd like in there. I thought it could use a touch of green, maybe some green bell pepper.

I'm really trying to work myself down to the end of my food 'stock' this time. I want to see bare shelves, just for fun. I usually give up long before I clear things out. Saturday I made cabbage and noodles with half a box of Dreamfield lasagna I had languishing in the cupboard and some cabbage I had leftover from making cole slaw. It turned out to be dinner (I can't often get away with a meatless meal but I've been sneaking one in here and there). I get a little rush everytime I use something that's been hanging around for some time.

Thanks for all of the birthday wishes!

Blast From The Past: Green Bean Salad from December 2005. That's another salad you can make out of the pantry.

Question of the Day: What's your favorite side dish?

2 comments:

ThursdayNext said...

Anything that is heavily carbohydrated. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with thursdaynext on this one, and it would be too hard to choose just one.

Jan