Friday, May 02, 2008

Easy clean-up
--Steak in Foil with Mushrooms




Steak in Foil with Mushrooms
Our Favorite Meats Favorites From Home Economic Teachers Copyright MCMLXVI


2 lb round steak, 1 in, thick my piece of meat was smaller
1 c. sliced mushrooms I used an entire 8 oz. package
Butter
½ pkg. dry onion soup mix I only sprinkled a bit on, maybe 1/4 pkg, probably less
1/8 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. water

Center steak on heavy aluminum foil. Saute mushrooms in a small amount of butter; sprinkle over meat. Add remaining ingredients. Seal carefully. Bake at 450 degrees for 1 hour and 30 minutes or until tender. I baked it for about an hour at 400 degrees, then reheated it at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes the next day.

Yield:4-5 servings
_____________

First of all, Carla at Chocolate Moosey has posted the round-up for the latest Weekend Cookbook Challenge. The theme was vintage cookbooks and I submitted Danish Cinnamon Coffee Cake which I'm still dreaming about. If any of you are interested in the next WCC, you can find more information here. Next month's theme is TV Cooks - I have lots of celebrity chef cookbooks! I hope I can get in on that one too.

Back to today's recipe - I took advantage of the cooler weather we had this week and baked this steak. I made it the night before we ate it since an hour of cooking time doesn't figure into my weeknights these days. I've been working longer days to cover doctor appointments and field trips.

This came out very well. The steak was very tender but it wasn't falling apart. I didn't add all of the soup mix because I was afraid it would be too salty but I probably lost some flavor. Next time I might add some sliced onion, maybe some carrots and I'll play around with the seasoning - maybe I'll add a splash of Worcestershire sauce.

The house smelled so good while this was cooking!

I just love this old cookbook. I have the salad version but it just doesn't sing to me like this meat cookbook does. I think there's a dessert version. I'd look to get my hands on that.

My grocery bill was quite low last night. I'm really trying to tighten my purse strings. We have such a surplus of food in the house but it's harder to just use things up when I have to watch my carbs. It's harder to pick recipes with all of these constraints (cost, carbs, I only want fast and easy recipes, I'd like to use up what I have, everyone has to like it). That is why things will be light around here - I can't come up with enough new recipes with all of those constraints.

Enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so easy and good. I remember an old recipe that I got about 30 years ago (really telling my age here!)called Dump Roast. You placed a roast beef on aluminum foil and "dumped" onion soup mix, cream of mushroom soup (I don't remember what else) in on it, sealed the foil and baked it. It was very good. I know I must still have that recipe. Think I'll look it up and make it. Thanks for jogging my memory.

Jan

Anonymous said...

I love this, especially since i'm the only one in my family that really enjoy's mushrooms with my steak. So cooking them individually works well for me, can just saute some onions to add to everyone else's!